a polite and unassuming lego blog

Sunday, December 04, 2005

I <3 Rube Goldberg

Back in middle school, I was on the "Science Olympiad" team. One of the events was "Mission Possible", which involved the creation of a contraption made up of simple machines that started with a simple action and ended with some task. For example, in 8th grade we had to start it by dropping a quarter and end it by launching a ping pong ball. I think. It may have been popping a balloon. No matter.

In 8th grade me and 2 friends took charge of the event, and we won 3rd at States, I think. Maybe 5th? We got a medal, is all I know. 1st at regionals as well, if I recall correctly. I may be confusing the exact numbers with Experimental Design, which I was also awesome at. Any nerdy kid in middle or high school in the US from 1985 onward should know what I am talking about.

Don't care about adventures of my youth? Blame Shane Larson, the long time supporter of all things TechWest and all things Sci-Facty, who has made a Rube Goldberg mousetrap, featuring the classic swinging axe, rolling ball, and falling anvil. So many fun details in such a small footprint!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home